Sunday, March 27, 2011

Steampunk Speaker Stands

One of the things I like to do in the studio is listen to music. I have created a space dedicated to listening to music while sitting comfortably in recliners. Prior to this weekend, I had the speakers perched on whatever I could find to coax the speakers to ear-level. "Whatever I could find" didn't always sit well with me.

However, in an effort to trim down the project list, I sought to create and complete something this weeked. I nearly achieved my goal... you'll see what I mean at the end.

I have the Onkyo 7.1 system wired up to various components, including my computer (on the other side of the old gray desk, destined to be refinished... yet another project on the list). I found this ordinary ladder shelf at Lowe's and repurposed it to be a stereo component shelf. I'll add an isolation box for my turntable after I have knocked out some of the projects in my list. I have seen various designs for stereo racks online, but I think this one works rather well. I was able to buy it for just over $100. Assembly and installation took about one hour. I still need to create some cable management to route component and speaker cables through, but that can be a quick task one of these nights. I will then add the additional DVD changer and cassette player to the rack. After all this, a question still remains: How do I get the sound into the room without resorting to speaker mounting that seems out of place with the steampunk motif I am nurturing and without sacrificing sound quality?.

I had a burst of inspiration: Why not use wrought iron stair ballisters as speaker mounts? I went to the metal supply company that happens to have a "sister" store in the front which specializes in ornate metalwork. The idea grew from there. I could get all the parts needed to mount speakers to a post and I found some other parts that triggered further ideas. What about using the spare white oak 4x6 posts I had? That could work.

So this weekend I decided to complete something. I took a couple 4x6s and cut them down to create seven blocks of roughly the same size.

I drilled 1/2" holes at a "strategic point" (hopefully somewhere close to the ideal balance point). If you have a drill press, I recommend using it as your holes will be at 90 degrees to the base.
Take a 1/2" chisel and mark the corners of the hole you need to mortise. I do happen to have a mortising jig, but the density of this oak made its use impractical. I removed the wood with a chisel, occassionally needing the help of a hammer.

Here's a photo of the additional parts I found while wandering the metal supply store. Wooden base, steel post with decorations, and finally the simple rod mounts (not yet hammered into place by a ball peen hammer and then glued.)
i drilled two holes to accept some 3 inch rods to strategicly hold the speaker on the post..

After assembling everything, here's what they look like. They are simple for now, but they don't sacrifice too much to get a good look. Now if I can only figure out what color I'm painting the iron and what kind of stain I want to use on the base. Maybe I will even find some acoustically transparent cloth to keep the Victorian flair going.

1 comment:

  1. Nifty, Bryon.

    Your previous posts of fiction got lost among the flood of Google Reader posts I'd not had time to read or clear over the week. Will be getting to them and commenting soon (I hope).

    SES

    ReplyDelete