Thursday, January 4, 2018

What's up?

Sorry. Okay, not sorry.

As I said in my previous post, I'm busy and don't always want to jump on a computer for fun after a day spent at a computer for work. However, I've been on vacation and got an itch to post a couple things. What about, you might ask? Well, here's a narrative excerpt of current goings-on.

The family and I just got back from a couple days "away" in Pasadena:


To some people's dismay, perhaps, we did not visit the Huntington Library  (again) this trip, though the thought had crossed my mind a few times. Seriously, it was only a couple of miles away at any given moment. But, alas, not everyone enjoys a handful of hours spent wandering slack-jawed and glossy-eyed while staring at old books and incunabula. (Steven, the lodging offer still stands so we can do that!)

At home, I've got other things consuming my attention. Namely:

  • The day job at Stone Brewing.
  • The holidays, now nearly all packed back up and returned to the attic.
  • My new PC build. It's a beast, for computing power, size, and the custom case I've decided to build. I've promised myself I will spend the time to disguise this technical monstrosity behind a veil of 1850-1950 tech. We'll see if I pull it off. I'll post more here... probably later today or tomorrow, to start the "build log" properly. Even this blog entry was spent testing out an ergo keyboard that I may or may not use for the new PC.
  • Tuning tools in the woodshop. This was not expected, but as I cut a few pieces of wood for the PC cabinet (above) on the compound miter saw, I discovered that "45°" plus another "45°" did not equal 90°. Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on miter position. Infuriating, as the wood was cut. The Shopsmith is only a few feet away, but I know it needs a general tune up as well. So, before I saw (or resaw) any more wood, I need to spend a few hours realigning blades, fences, and tables, waxing tables and fences, and checking dust collection and air filtration.
  • Miscellaneous household repairs. It seems every room in the house has developed--either during the holidays or the preceding months--some sort of issue needing attention. Even the studio needs a few things (well, the studio bathroom sink has been missing for over a year). Some fixes are due to wear and tear, others are changes after living with the remodel for a while, others were on our wish list.
  • The "bi-weekly" Rogue Dragons Adventuring Company D&D game set in the Forgotten Realms... using Pathfinder/D&D 3.x thank you very much. :) Ooo... tomorrow night is game night!
  • A new Forgotten Realms campaign gifted to my son and (soon to be step-) nephew for Christmas. Like some of my previous campaigns, it started with a couple of props, a crumbling map, and an interesting backstory. I'm actually getting excited about this, as the two (so far) kids don't know FR or this version of D&D. There's an air of amazement and mystery already, and we haven't even sat down for character creation. I'll have to post that separately, too.
  • A couple of minor health things. Hopefully. I'll know more over the next week.
  • Another construction project. ::sigh:: The exterior of the garage and studio has some significant damage from weather, dry rot, and termites. This, unfortunately, will also take a bunch of time and money that we didn't plan on spending at this time. :(
  • Landscaping the patch of dirt we call a backyard. It's a mess, though it used to be beautiful, green, and inviting only a handful of years ago.
  • ...and, if there's time and/or money, we have some bookcases and shelves needing to be designed and built for the family room, library, and studio. Since I'm busy, I need to finalize SketchUp drawings for them so a furniture maker up the street can turn them into reality. Otherwise they stay on my persistent and ever growing project list, awaiting their moment at the top.
Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment